Monday, October 25, 2010

Using Up the Cucumbers

On Sunday I did some major garden clearing in anticipation of a potential frost. One of my strongest crops this year was the cucumbers. I grew both a regular-looking green one and a round yellow one. Yup, admittedly I am still working on getting to know my vegetable varieties better.

In years past I have pickled like crazy--making both dill pickles and bread & butters. I enjoy these, but my household just does not crave these enough to make all of the pickling work worth it. That means that we chow down immediately on the cucumbers while they are fresh. One of my favorite ways to enjoy cucumbers is in a creamy salad. It can be made locally all except for the vinegar, and I really do love the vinegar in it. I've been making this one for a long time--long before eating locally was ever on my radar.

Creamy Cucumber Salad

1/2 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
1 tbsp vinegar
1/4 tsp dried dill
1/4 tsp salt
3 cups sliced cucumber
1 small onion, thinly sliced

Stir together all of the ingredients, cover, and chill 2-24 hours. Stir often and just before serving. Makes 6 side-dish servings.

Adapted from Better Home and Gardens New Cookbook, 11th ed.

No comments: