Sunday, September 12, 2010

Trying Out Some Sweet Corn Cakes

This weekend marked some little breaks from local eating. I accompanied my husband on a short conference trip during which I stayed pretty much confined to the resort. This was not a bad situation to be in except for the fact that I was trying to eat locally. I did bring a number of snacks with me--carrot sticks, apples, bread--but I was quite sure after reading all about their various restaurant options that I was going to be hard-pressed to find local meals.

Upon our return I was ready to try out a new local dish. I had been craving those little corn cakes from Chi Chi's (yes, I did grow up with and adored certain chain restaurants before I realized the wonders of fresh, local food) ever since the corn was ready to pick. I searched the internet and found this recipe. It was a far cry from local, but I was determined, so I toyed with some ingredients and measurements and ended up with some gelatinous corn goo that tasted pretty good. I have since altered the recipe a bit more. Below you will find the new version of this recipe that I hope to try soon. If you try it before me, please post your experience and any suggestions.

Sweet Corn Cakes

2 cups milk
1 1/4 cups water
4 ears-worth of corn kernels, plus the corn milk (gathered by scraping the blunt side of a knife down the naked cob)
1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup wheat flour
1/2 cup honey
6 tbsp butter, melted
1/2 tbsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

Place all ingredients in a 2 quart covered microwaveable casserole dish. Whisk well and mix until batter is smooth and uniform. Cover and microwave on high for 5 minutes. Stir well, scrape the bottom of the dish and whisk until all large lumps are gone.

Cover and microwave on high for another 5 minutes. Stir well, scrape the bottom of dish and whisk until all large lumps are gone. Cover and microwave on high for a final 5 minutes. Stir well, scrape the bottom of dish and whisk until all large lumps are gone.

Serve warm using an ice cream scoop or large spoon.

No comments: